Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Better Than DQ Ice Cream Cake


I found this great recipe almost two months ago (actually my friend, Mrs. Nimerfroh, found the recipe, but I made it and we both loved it), but I've been waiting to get proper permission to share the recipe here.

This recipe is from www.bettercrocker.com and you can see the original recipe here

The recipe is "Malt Shoppe Memories Ice Cream Cookie Cake". I loved this ice cream cake and I think it is way better than Dairy Queen's ice cream cake! I have been wanting to make it again, but I haven't found a good excuse yet (and believe you me I have tried very hard to find excuses).


I've changed the directions some to simplify the recipe.


.

Malt Shoppe Memories Ice Cream Cookie Cake

You'll Need:
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® double chocolate chunk cookie mix
2/3 cup chocolate-flavor malted milk powder, divided
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water
1 egg
1/4 cup hot fudge topping
1 cup crushed Whoppers (I used a 5 oz box)
2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
2 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
1 cup whipped topping, thawed
  • Heat oven to 350°F. 
  • Lightly spray a 9" round pan and a cookie sheet with cooking spray. 
  • In large bowl, stir cookie mix, 1/3 cup of the malted milk powder, oil, water, and egg until soft dough forms. 
  • Press half of the dough into the round pan. Spread the other half into a large cookie on the cookie sheet. Bake both cookies 12 to 13 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. 
  • Spread the hot fudge topping over the crust in 9" pan.
  • In medium bowl, break apart the large cookie (from the cookie sheet) until crumbly. Stir in the crushed Whoppers. Sprinkle about 3/4 of this mixture over hot fudge layer; press lightly.
  • Combine both softened ice creams and remaining 1/3 cup malted milk powder until well blended. 
  • Spread the ice cream mixture over the crumb layer in the round pan. 
  • Gently spread the whipped topping over the ice cream layer. 
  • Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture.
  • Cover with foil. 
  • Freeze at least 5 hours or until firm. 
  • To serve, use hot wet knife to cut into wedges or squares. Store covered in freezer.

A few notes:
-The original recipe calls for a springform pan (which I don't own) or lining a pan with foil to make the cake in. I tried lining my pan with foil and that didn't work well. The foil stuck to the cake and it was a mess to cut, so I would just spray with cooking spray as written above.
-I was able to cook both cookies (the crust and the large cookie) at once, which saved a lot of time.
-I used a small food processor/chopper to quickly crush my Whoppers.
-I crumbled the large cookie up as soon as I as it cooled enough to touch since it was much softer and easier to break, be sure to break it in small pieces.
-Be sure you have time to freeze the finished cake.  We froze it for a few hours, but it need more freezing time (it was still VERY delicious). 
Happy Ice Cream Cake Making!
 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
 
This post shared on: 
 photo featurefridaylinkyparty.png



With A Blast

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Please leave your thoughts, questions, or comments, thanks for stopping by!